Thursday, April 1, 2010

My name is Nicholas Young, I am a junior of Medomak Valley High School, Son of Lori Meservey and Don Young. As of right this instant, I live in Warren, Maine, In the United States. I am a very chatty person, I love to learn new things and I am very good with computers, just about everyone likes me. I plan on having a career within the film industry, as I believe I have a knack, as well as a talent for videos. I want to go abroad for the experience, for the thrills and the new people. I have always wanted to extend my Spanish, even though I will have taken a full 3 years of it before I actually leave for Panama.
There are so many this that I expect myself to learn, that I wouldn’t even realize, if not for my life here. I want to see the Pacific Ocean, see the wildlife, like the many monkeys that inhabit the country, experience the new friendships and a life completely different than my own. I can only take steps back to see the gravity this program will have on my future, and how I look at the world.

Achievements
I have a 3.79/ 4.0 GPA,
Academic Honor Roll, '07, '08, '09, '10
Perfect Attendance, '07, '08 and so far in '09
Employee Of The Month June '09
Student Of The Month February '10
One of the Artists within the Youth Art Month at the Portland Museum of Art '10

The farthest south I have ever been was Virginia and the farthest north has been Bangor, Maine. I want to be able to see the many other people –besides Americans– who inhabit this earth, using my own eyes. I expect an education that a simple classroom couldn’t offer, I expect to return speaking Spanish semi-fluently, while helping those down there with their English. I expect to learn what connects each one of us. I want to learn of the world, and for the world to learn from me. In return, I will be using a blog, not a simple “my bland life” kind of blog. Unlike many other blogs, this one will have actual videos from My life and home and then from Panama, most of them will be of places, people and locations that would interest everyone. But some of the others would be fun videos, maybe a plot, maybe a music video, maybe a few concerning English and Spanish translations. I will add text periodically and producing at least 1 video every 2 weeks (working towards 1 every week). When I come back to the States I will teach my friends, family and fellow classmates about the world, Panama and everything that I gained during those fast 6 months.

As to my need in funding, my father can not work. In 2004, He tore the muscles in his arm from lifting weight he does however receive social security disability. The collective parents do not exist, my mother and father are divorced. Even though they live in separate houses they both have medical bills totaling $7,000. From the divorce and their mortgages they owe $131,500. And from a loan they took out was $70,000, not even including interest. There is very little my parents can actually help financially. I am working on the video camera, I am debating if I should get a new one. Most of the videos in the beginning are shot using one of my school’s cameras, and are of obvious better quality. The editing is also different, for I use iMovie, with a MacBook. I am unsure of which program I will use, but will find it. It takes millions to make movies, and it is only going to take me a few thousand to create an hour of videos. I have used much of my personal finances toward this trip. From the $100 for the passport, $900 for the application fee and $1,500 for the April 1st deadline. I have received all of this money from working at a job since December of 2008. Now I have a remaining tuition balance of $3,100. Then personal expenses rounding in about $1,500 to $2,000. I don’t mean to plead, but I need everyone to help in some form, be it a donation or send this message on to some of their friends. Whatever help I can get is welcome to bring a little Americana to Panama. Other my job, I plan to make a cook book, possible a dinner, with a silent auction, I have lots of things lying around the house that I will sell. Plus I will meet face to face for donations, as well as get my family involved. Whatever I can do to get there, because I do not want this opportunity to slip out of my fingers.

No comments: